This task shows you examples of formal and informal sentences and allows you to compare
them. To make a sentence more formal you can:
- Use 'There' as a subject; e.g. 'There is a serious risk of...'
- Use 'It' as a subject; e.g. 'It is impossible to...'
- Use 'One' as a subject; e.g. 'One may ask whether...' ('One' is a formal version of
'You' [plural] in general)
- Use the passive voice; e.g. 'Many things can be done in order to...'
Match the formal phrases in the boxes on the right with the informal phrases on the left:
- Click in the table cell containing the Formal phrase
you want to move.
- Click in the table cell where you want the phrase to go. The phrases will swap position.
- If a phrase is in the right position, it will have a green background and a tick.
- When all the formal phrase table cells are green and have ticks, you have finished.
If you have any suggestions or questions, please e-mail us at