Aim: This exercise will help you to write reports using formal language.
To make words and phrases more formal you can:
- replace phrasal verbs with one-word verbs; e.g. 'take a look at' with
- replace general verbs with specific ones; e.g. 'got' with 'received',
although the specific verb should correlate with the noun; e.g. 'draw
conclusions' and 'make recommendations' (Click
here for more information.)
- replace extreme adjectives with less extreme ones; e.g. 'huge' with
- replace informal quantifiers with formal ones; e.g. 'masses of ' with 'a
large amount of '
- replace words with apostrophes with full forms; e.g. 'don't' with 'do not'
Formal and Informal Phrases
Edit the boxes below by replacing the informal words and phrases with formal ones.
hits since 9 April 2003.
If you have any suggestions or questions, please e-mail us at